- Hi and welcome to Swim For Your Life, I am Ruth Smith and I am a Passionate Swim Educator I work in conjuction with Coco Hamel and Tamara Flick both very experienced swimming instructors..
- You might like to know a little about me.
When I was 14 I began teaching swimming at my local swimming pool. Back then it was expected as a free service from those involved in the local swim club. My shift was a Saturday morning and I quickly learnt to love it. I grew up in Wingham. At 49, I have not stopped teaching/coaching. Slowed a little, but over all those years I have been involved with kids in the water every year.
- I am a Bronze level coach, Austswim Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety, numerous Royal Life Saving Awards,hold a Diploma of Sport Science and a Bachelor of Social Science.
- I was one of the first women competing in the Surf Life Saving carnivals back in the 80’s when they allowed woman to get their Surf Bronze and patrol the beaches with the men.
- I was also one of the first female Beach Inspector’s employed by the Council on the north coast. As a competitive swimmer while at school I made state level.Dabbled in synchronized swimming, played lots of water polo, wished at times I was born with gills and repeatedly watched Finding Nemo.
- On a serious note, I enjoy the reward of teaching and watching people swim well. I don’t mind if they join the surf club, water polo team, synchronized swim team,compete for their school and country or just enjoy swimming for recreation, I am passionate about getting kids in the water and developing their love for it.
- Swim For Your Life intends to embrace all who want to learn to swim well, including adults, people with disabilities, and those requiring stroke correction. . I look forward to providing you with quality swimming lessons your support and many conversations.
The Team Includes
Corinne Hamel – Coco Coco has been in the aquatic industry as a qualified Austswim teacher for 7 years now as well as being a mum to two young children. Coco is French speaking and loves to share a few French words with the students each lesson. Coco really enjoys the rewards of teaching children to swim especially those children very frightened of the water. She certainly has a ‘magic’ when it comes to the very timid and nervous children. Tamara Flick – some children call her Tomatoe Tamara has also been teaching swimming lessons for 6 years and is Austswim qualified. Growing up in the area she is well known and has a family of 4 of her own. Tamara loves to see the children progress and move onto more challenging classes. She loves seeing their confidence in the pool grow and affect other areas of their lives.